Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pillow Talk

The other night Jeff and I were having our nightly pillow talk routine (which has now extended a lot later than it used to since I work so late now). Jeff told me about a conversation he had with his friend Chris at school.

Chris: My wife and I went to this restaurant over the weekend. Several people told us it was the BEST breakfast place in San Francisco. We went and it wasn't even that good, especially for how much it cost.
Jeff: Yeah, I finally realized that when people suggest restaurants, I always need to ask them first, "Wait? Do you live in San Francisco?" Because for whatever reason, people in SF think expensive means good. And they're never right. It's never good.

I was just glad to hear that someone else was having the same experience in food hunting as we were. It's been rough replacing "the regulars" from Provo. The pizza hunt I've decided won't ever be a success. No one can replace Nicolitalia. Now I can only dream about it in my sleep. With it's perfect ratio of chewy to crunchy crust. Mmmm...

In fact, I've become so disappointed with the lack of acceptable pizza here, I've just starting making my own. I've never been that into making homemade pizza, not because it's not good, but because I have always thought of pizza as being a special "out on the town" type of food. I guess you could call it a treat and one that I just didn't have to make. Well not anymore. I make that too.

And the thing is when you ask most people what's one of the best parts of living in a big city? They say the food. Well, for me at least, it's the food. I LOVE food. I love making food. I love eating food. I just love it. Cities should bring a whole new selection of restaurants to the table. And we fully expected there to be plenty of places we'd be able to visit that'd be within a reasonable price range.

But they're not reasonable priced for what you're getting in most places (probably because they have to pay rent in SF). We haven't been to a ton of places because we're poor, but where we've been it's usually a disappointment.

I leave saying, "I could've made that."

And isn't that why you eat out? To be given food that you just can't replicate at home?
Or is that just me?

When we first moved here, we kept receiving referrals from people we'd meet. One place (La Taqueria) we went to was on the Food Network. All the places also happened to be on this list.


Let's just say Jeff no longer believes in that list.

We wanted to replace Diego's Tacos (well I did... Jeff never loved that place, but he wanted to replace Taco Trucks in Modesto), so we went to the Mission District and ate at La Taqueria.
It was expensive for what they gave you.
Took a long time.
And wasn't anything special.
Let's just say, I could've made it better at home.

We wanted to replace JDawgs and so we went to this sausage place in the Mission District, Rosamunde. We had the recommended Beer sausage with sauerkraut and grilled onions.
It is no JDawgs.
Was fairly inexpensive.
Didn't taste very good.
And had nothing special about it.
I could've definitely made way better at home.


Maybe before we leave SF in four years we'll actually find some place that has special food AND that is reasonably priced, or at least worth what your paying for.
Here's hoping...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Okay I totally know how you guys are feeling! We're doing the same thing, except the restaurants people have been recommending us here are just disgusting!

Anyway, you guys need to go to Fentons! It's in Oakland, so a little outside the city. But, for a date night or special occasion it's sooooo worth the drive! It's an ice cream parlor and you'll fall in love. It's a family tradition of ours for years and years to always go there when we visit the area. You won't be disappointed! And the portions are enormous! (okay I just remembered the lactose issue ... but still the food is good and you can handle ice cream for one night!)

I even googled the address for you:
4226 Piedmont Ave. Oakland, CA 94611

seriously, you must go and tell me all about it!

Lisa and Mark said...

neither mark or i are huge foodies. we're pretty content with subpar food. but, i DO really enjoy:

mama's in washington square park
bi rite ice cream
la note in berkeley (breakfast place)
people like zachary's pizza in oakland, but i'm not impressed

a girl who moved out of our ward is a HUGE foodie. like she reads books and books about cooking. she just posted her pizza recipe (which i'm dying to try) on her blog section89.blogspot.com. it was posted within the last few days. let me know how it goes!

jenn + michael said...

food is so good! I'm sorry san fran is disappointing you. When I come visit we'll find some great places!

AnnElise&Chris said...

I busted out laughing at that first part! ... haha! There I go again. I think the place he was talking about was zazies... which you and I know to be amazing. When our husbands work someday we will come back and be able to enjoy it more fully. Someday...